In this small, but spectacular, 13th century chapel, the beloved image of the Virgin of Olatz is housed. The oldest hermitage in Azpeitia is in the most beautiful of locations, close to Loyola Sanctuary, and offers beautiful views of Loiola Valley.
The temple's main door is a semi-circular arch and the interior features a gorgeous dome and a wooden choir. Its most valuable treasure, however, is without a doubt the Gothic polychrome statue of the Virgin.
The Olatz hermitage has always been dear to the Loiola family, since they were, together with the mayor, its patrons. It seems that Saint Ignatius came to this hermitage often to pray, since he was particularly devoted to Our Lady of Olatz. A monument reminds visitors of this tradition: "In this place, Saint Ignatius of Loyola prayed to Our Lady of Olatz which is facing a Salve Regina."
The Virgin of Olatz was crowned on September 21, 1952. The celebration of the day of Olatz is held on the date of the Coronation of the Virgin, December 18.
The Gipuzkoa town meetings were held at this hermitage, a fact displayed on a plaque:
"At this place, the General Meetings of Guipuzcoa were held until the early 18th century."written plaque