The parish church of Santa Marina is one of the best examples of churches with columns of Gipuzkoa. It has always been believed that the church was built in 65 years, from 1542 to 1607, but, in reality, its construction lasted 130 years, including 40 years in which the works were stopped due to economic and technical reasons.
In this temple one can observe two periods; The first was from 1542 to 1602, when the main chapel, the vaults of the first part and the stained glass windows were built. In the latter year, the lack of money forced to stop the works and the case was brought to the courts. Apparently, the Town Hall believed that most of the money for this work should provided by the Count of Oñate, as the management of the church was in his hands. The resolution of the lawsuit came in 1648 and the second phase of the work began that lasted until 1672. The vaults and mono-cylindrical columns belong to this era.
The choir and the bell tower were added in the 18th century.
The work began under the leadership of Andrés de Leturiondo, subsequently, by others, Estiburu, Pascual de Iturritza, Juan de Hemasabel and Balzola. Contrary to what would happened in the Parish Church of San Pedro, here they were relatively faithful to the initial draft of Leturiondo.
The parish church of Santa Marina is a model example of Basque Gothic architecture. The general structure is Renaissance; the ground floor of hall consists of three naves of same height but different widths. The central nave is finished with a small apse. The separation between the naves is made using monolithic supports with base tuscan capitel. The arches and nerves that support the vaults start from these capitals. The side walls also have two different sized and shaped windows. On the other hand, the buttresses of the exterior have a prism shape.